Support the First Hong Kong Documentary Festival
Please give your support to the first ever Hong Kong International Documentary Festival.
Organised by Visible Record since 2008, the Chinese Documentary Festival was a significant film event for film lovers and filmmakers. After eleven years, both the film festival and the audience have grown remarkably. Starting this year, the festival will evolve into an international documentary festival. The new festival will be a platform for international cinematic discoveries and cultural exchanges.
The first edition of the Hong Kong International Documentary Festival (HKIDF) will be held in September 2019. The progamme includes three sections: Chinese Documentary Competition, Hong Kong Selection and International Selection. The films in the Chinese Documentary Competition focus on life in Chinese diaspora. The Hong Kong Selection showcases productions of local young filmmakers. The International Selection includes the latest award-winning documentaries from around the world, Krystof Kieslowski’s documentaries and outstanding student works from the Lodz Film Academy in Poland. The Festival will present more than fifty films, as well as five seminars.
In order to present a world-class documentary festival worthy of Hong Kong, we need the support of many different parties. Besides government funding, we also need individuals' support to make it a complete city-wide celebration of human experience. Your donation will go to the rental of theatres, copyright fees for films and expenses of overseas filmmakers.
Please support the HKIDF now!
Visible Record (VR)
- Established in 2004
- Hong Kong-based non-profit arts and culture organisation
- Founded by Hong Kong documentary filmmaker Tammy Cheung (張虹) and photographer Augustine Lam (林偉鴻) with other like-minded individuals
- Its Board of Directors consists of prominent members in film, photography, education and media sectors
- The activities of VR are financed by the Hong Kong Arts Development Council, the Hong Kong Jockey Club and private foundations
Hong Kong International Film Festival
- The first international documentary festival in Hong Kong
- Originally known as the Chinese Documentary Film Festival, established in 2008, presented more than 230 films in the past ten years and had more than 35,000 attendees
- Since 2016, Chinese Documentary Film Festival has showcased documentary film from all over the world. The selection included We Come As Friends, 5 Broken Cameras and Checkpoint.
- Hong Kong International Film Festival includes three main sections:
- Chinese Documentary Competition features high-quality documentaries from cross-strait four regions
- Hong Kong Selection showcases outstanding local documentaries
- International Selection presents latest and finest documentaries from around the world
- Five seminars related to documentaries will be held
- More than 10 local filmmakers and about 20 overseas filmmakers attending
- More than fifty films
- Estimated audience size is 3,000
The Hong Kong International Documentary Festival (2019)
- Period: 15/9 - 31/10/2019
- Audience size: 2,960
- Total of 54 screenings at four venues:
- MOViE MOViE Cityplaza
- Hong Kong Arts Centre
- Hong Kong Space Museum
- Hong Kong Science Museum
- More than 30 directors and guest speakers from Hong Kong and overseas attending
- Special events:
- 5 Seminars on documentary films
- Awards Ceremony attended by press and important personalities from the film, arts and culture sectors
- Festival Party for filmmakers and festival VIPs
Augustine Lam, Programme Director
E-mail: [email protected]
Phone: +852 2540 7859