Update on 14 Aug 2020
Next Friday, I will flight to UK to prepare the challenge. Swim will be on 26 August - 1 September 2020.
[Road to English Channel] There are many reasons not to do a task. But you only need one reason to do a task. My only reason is "I want to". Based on the pure passion, I just give justification to myself with two "reasons". "Reason 1": I want to demonstrate that Hongkongers can achieve what we have been fighting for. We dare to risk our life to dream big. "Reason 2": Two years ago, my great dude Kamil and I, in a trip to support coach man Rostislav Vitek's 2 way English Channel, decided to found Born To Swim International Limited in Hong Kong. Sadly, Kamil passed away in April 2020. I decided to hit to the Channel with coach man. I will be able to feel Kamil's spirit.
Sports, to me, is a mixture of art, emotion and science together. With only scientific facts, you can't get through challenges. You need belief and courage to be successful.
Picture: Balance my scapula at home with my newly installed TRX system on balcony. from @anna.k.l.c
#Hongkongiceman #borntoswim #englishchannel #englishchannelswim #lamanche #swimming #openwaterswimming #longdistanceswimming #ows #marathonswimming @_borntoswim_ #believer #courage #challenge
Swimming date and training
Update on 28 Jul 2020
The English Channel crossing swim is now confirmed to be on 26 August - 1 September 2020. ????Luckily, water/air temperature will be a bit warmer and with 2 hour more sunlight time. Last week, I finished a 6-day swimming training camp by Rostislav Vitek and plus 2-day weekend races of 3km, 5km and 10km under strong wind and wave in Lipno, Czech Republic. Finalizing the physical condition.
Be flexible in training - Be water
Update on 8 Jun 2020
- Make the training flexible and personal. Be water. Adapt to the situation we have. In the previous 2.5 months, swimming pools were not opened. I treated Brno Reservoir as a big swimming pool. The advantage is that water is colder than swimming pools. I started from 12 degree Celsius water until now 19 degree Celsius water over 2 months. It simulates the condition of English Channel a bit although the Reservoir is with fresh water instead of salt water.
- Two months training has passed. Four more months to go before the Channel challenge. General strategy is to listen to my body. Recovery is an important part of training. I should avoid injury. After 2 months, the training will go to the peak with higher swimming amount.
- Current training scheme is 6 days per week including 5 sessions of swimming and 1 session of TRX core training. There is always one hard training at weekend such as 4 hours in 13-degree water. Three trainings on weekdays are easy such as 1 hour in 17 degree water. Of course, all training are without wetsuit.
- “There will be obstacles. There will be doubters. There will be mistakes. But with hard work… there are no limits.” - Michael Phelps
Photo from Wikimedia
6 Hour Swim for English Channel Qualification
Update on 14 May 2020
- Attach the video is from last Saturday when I successfully swam 6 hours continuously with short breaks in 16.0 degree Celsius water in Brno, Czech Republic. I am now qualified for English Channel. Next step will be a professional medical check-up including cardiovascular function by a sports doctor next Friday.
- After isolation at home for 28 days, I have been training for the 5th week in cold water in lake. Distance amount has been increased.
- This crowdfunding is extended to 31-August-2020.
Updates on 23-April-2020
Update on 23 Apr 2020
- Period on 6-14 October 2020 has been reserved with Pilot Stuart Gleeson. Deposit payment of £1000 has been paid. The exact date will be known upon arrival depending on the water condition.
- Training camp in Ireland in the end of May 2020 was cancelled due to Wuhan virus. Budget is decreased down by HKD$10,000. The qualification of 6 hour swim in 16 or below degree water will be carried out in Prague, Czech Republic.
- Lowered down the fundraising goal as HKD$30,000 on Fringebacker. If successful, admin fee from Fringebacker will be HKD$2700 instead of HKD$9000. Budget can be saved.
- Based on above, budget has been readjusted from HKD$100,000 into HKD$75,000.
- Outside this crowdfunding of HKD$30,000, more sponsors are being searched at the moment to cover the rest HKD$45,000.
- Extended this crowdfunding project live for one more month, until 11 May 2020.
Currently, I haven’t got a layout of products yet due to a rush time-frame. Please write me your email address, contact details and phone number. Later, I will design swimming cap, fast-dry towel and swimsuit with recycled textile. I can write you when all my products will be settled like last time in Loch Ness crowdfunding. :) But I can’t promise what exact products I will be able to make yet.